Monday 28 June 2010

World cups --> United nations --> peace?


Hello Monde!

Today I've been picking strawberries as you might have read... As i was riding my bicycle to the Strawberry-field, I listened to the radio and as I was doing so, I heard the song 'Wavin' flag' (Waving flag --> in proper English). No matter the title of the song, however, it's the lyrics that enthralled me. I have heard that song quite a few times, though, I've never really paid much attention to the lyrics. (I probably thought it was another one of those soccer-rocks-songs and that only manifests, that even I can be wrong) For what I think the song is about; (that may vary from person to person as I am certain you will comprehend) is the unison (between nations), which is accomplished in events such as world cups, song contests etcetera.

When i sat and thought about all this, a strange thought occurred to me: If international events strengthens the bonds between nations, and bonds between nations promotes peace and co-operation then that means that events, such as world cups (Which I by the by hate) prevent wars.

Then another strange thought occurred to me; How can competitions strengthen the bonds between people, doesn't a competition always end with one looser (who goes home with tear-stained eyes) and one winner (who goes home with a big trophy and a soar throat due to all the screaming at the post-match-party arranged by somebody's second cousin with catering company)? And isn't the loser always furious, envious and filled with an urge to take revenge upon the person to whom he has lost.

Really I ought to go to bed... Even I have difficulty seeing how this post is going to be useful to anybody whatsoever.

Whatever...

Thank you for your time and I'm sorry for wasting it //OSS

No comments:

Post a Comment